Tuesday, September 26, 2006

"Want a balloon?"

I went to HMV yesterday since they have a sale on. Browsed around, and ended up splurging on a number of DVDs that would be impossible to get back home. But the real reason for my getting them is because these are the movies of my childhood, and each had a hand in shaping me.

1) Groundhog Day



I love this movie because I believe it's Bill Murray at his best. Funny, ironic, cynical and sometimes totally sincere. The movie moves along in a beautiful way, and toward the end, you can't help but feel for him when he feels resigned to his repetitive fate, even more so when you see that the woman he has fallen for won't remember him the next morning.

Way before 50 First Dates, Groundhog Day showed how one man would eventually do everything everyday over and over to woo the woman he eventually fell in love with, discovering in the end that it was all worth it.


2) Seven



A gritty murder film that revolves around the seven deadly sins. It's got deep theological, psychological and cultural themes, and really makes you think. But if you're not so inclined, it's still a great film.

One of the first psychological thrillers I ever watched, this movie haunts me even now. This was disturbing even before the "eww" factor of movies like Saw came along.


3) It



What can I say about this classic? It may not have as much shock in-your-face value as today's gore horror films, but this movie is just plain creepy and gives you a disturbed feeling that lingers long after the credits roll. Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise is utterly unsettling. That's why this is one of the ultimate horror movies of my childhood.

I hate clowns to this day.


4) The Color Purple



I watched this movie when I was a child, and it has been with me ever since. It made me smile, it made me cry, it made me feel things I didn't know I could feel.

This movie cemented Whoopi Goldberg in my head as one of my favourite actresses, and the emotions this movie drew out of me shocked me at that age, forever placing it in my head as an incredible and beautiful film.

By Chester with 4 comments

4 comments:

is it possible that seven started off the 'eww' factor with that head in the box and sliced off fingertips?

i havent seen the colour purple since the first time i watched it!
yup that was definitely a great investment.

I'm reading It the book.

Its creepy.

I keep seeing clowns everywhere.

But I heard the book was WAYY better than the movie, have you read the book yet?

[josh] Who knows haha.
[cait] I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.
[sana] Only a few pages. Yeah, I heard the book was way creepier.

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives