Sunday, November 12, 2006

Stained glass masquerade


Is there anyone that fails? Is there anyone that falls? Am I the only one in church today feelin' so small? 'Cause when I take a look around, everybody seems so strong. I know they'll soon discover that I don't belong. So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay. If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too. So with a painted grin, I play the part again so everyone will see me the way that I see them.

Is there anyone who's been there? Are there any hands to raise? Am I the only one who's traded in the altar for a stage? The performance is convincing and we know every line by heart. Only when no one is watching can we really fall apart.

But would it set me free if I dared to let you see the truth behind the person that you imagine me to be? Would your arms be open or would you walk away? Would the love of Jesus be enough to make you stay?

Are we happy plastic people under shiny plastic steeples with walls around our weakness and smiles to hide our pain? But if the invitation's open to every heart that has been broken, maybe then we close the curtain on our stained glass masquerade.

This song by Casting Crowns speaks very much about how I feel on Sundays. Is there anyone else feeling how I feel? Does anyone else think themselves unworthy and often out of place? Does anyone else ever feel like they don't belong?

I've wondered for a very long time about the depth of the love Jesus calls us to have for one another. How many of us could withstand a test of that love? If we let go of our pretenses and were honest with our brothers and sisters in Christ, would we continue in the love we profess to have? In the same way that we all want the kind of friends we can be honest with about our weakness and our hurt, we ourselves have to be gracious and understanding and compassionate to those who have weaknesses and hurts we don't.

The album booklet has this to say:
"I don't think it bothers the world that we sin. I think it bothers the world that we act like we don't. There are times that instead of being myself and exposing my own weakness and hurt, I portray a character of the person that I know I should be. But when I expose myself as weak and frail at times, it frees the Body of Christ to restore me as it should and invites others to unmask as well."

By Chester with 1 comment

1 comments:

Honestly?

Yeah.

Been that way for a goooood long time, in fact. I seriously don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going on the so called spiritual journey, if I can call it that....

Isn't it only a journey if you're actually going somewhere?

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives