Monday, November 3, 2008

Rundown

So, whirlwind of activity lately. Firstly, there was Convocation.


Finally done with it, and can hold my little green folder with pride. Got the Silver Medal and Book Prize for my four years of effort, so that's always good.

Two days later, I got to meet the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. One of the other students thought she was the Duchess of York, which lead to a pretty hilarious mistake when he accidentally called her the Duchess of Dork.

We were to have a closed chat session with the both of them, no media present. Just the Vice Chancellor, the Minister-in-attendance (whatever that means), the ten of us− five students, five lecturers− and the two of them (or should it be "Them"?). Oh and apparently, as I would find out, this session would also include a slew of other various people of varying rank, importance and relevance sitting in the corner or standing in different spots around the room (trying to be inconspicuous, but failing badly). I didn't really check how many. I thought it'd be rude to start craning my neck to look around the room when the royal couple were sitting not five feet from where I was.


Since they hadn't arrived just yet, we left the room where we were waiting and stood out in the hall with the rest of the throng. Quite a good turnout, I thought. Lotsa traditional exhibits and stuff here and there too.

Gasing maker thingy.


Old man with a traditional wooden xylophone of sorts.


Then of course, when they finally did arrive (late, I might add), you should've seen the frenzy of reporters.

They're in there somewhere...

Thinking back on it now, it was a pretty lightweight discussion. We didn't talk about anything much really. Mostly a bit about our experiences in UK, and stuff like that. A few trivialities here, a couple forgettables there, and then stepped forward a man apologizing for interrupting our very interesting talk (I fancy I caught a hint of sarcasm when he said "interesting") but that the Prince and Duchess simply had to be moving on.

Oh, but of course, there was to be a nice little photo op where we could all get our chance to immortalize the time we hobnobbed with British royalty! Huzzah!!

So, pose! Ready, one, two, three, aaaaaaand...

By Chester with 3 comments

3 comments:

Haha sure, its funny now. But at the time it was like, "What the..."

I had to quickly peek out from behind her. It makes me look like someone who snuck in behind the group just to be in the photo!

Hahaha! So do you actually have one where you can see yourself? Haha! You could have stood more to your right..? Unless you wanted your face smack-dab in between them..AHAHAHAHA..

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives