Friday, June 8, 2007

Can I break the spell of the typical?

Is it just me, or is every 80's kid's dream coming true this decade? First Transformers, now Thundercats. I really hope it ends up being as cool as Transformers is shaping up to be though. I couldn't stand it if they butchered one of my favourite childhood cartoons.

I wonder how they're gonna pull it off. I have a sinking feeling it might end up looking like an action movie version of Cats. Speaking of which, I went to watch it live recently. I'd seen it on TV before, but seeing it live is a whole different experience. Gosh, I love musicals.

In other news, chatted with a friend till 6.am. this morning. One of those deeply involving chats. I haven't had a one like that in years. I can safely say he has become one of my closest friends in UK. In fact, in these 6 months he has already become one of my closest friends period, more so than some people who I've known for years. Funny how I seem to be getting closer to people only now. It'll only make it harder to leave when I do.

I've been listening to Amy Winehouse recently. She really reminds me of Lauryn Hill, and I love Lauryn Hill. Seems like her voice is a Billie Holiday/Lauryn Hill hybrid. This new album is a blend of soul and jazz with a bit of R&B thrown in. And it's quite enjoyable. Some of the songs have a rather classic "oldies" feel to them, and they'd sound almost like throwbacks to an earlier era, save for the contemporary song-writing. One of my fave songs, for example, has a line that goes "What kind of f***ery is this?", and most people wouldn't expect that kind of phrase to be accompanied by a chorus line singing doo-wop.

Now that raised an eyebrow. All profanity aside though, I really like this album. And I have a feeling I'll only enjoy it more the longer I listen.

Since we're on the subject of music, there's this band called Mute Math, whose music I don't really like, except for one song. That song (called "Typical") has a great video, one of those backward ones. The coolest thing is that each band member memorized his part backward.

By Chester with 4 comments

4 comments:

Not to mention Prince of Persia -- the classic PC game.

Cheetara! <3

I wonder how they'll do that sword bit.. you know, that innuendo-laced one where Lion-o's sword of omens gets bigger followed by a rather strange guttural yell...

Haha.
We'll see.
Definitely looking forward to watching this one!

[mun] The movie based on the PS2 remake though. Now that was a brilliant game.
[nikki] Haha that sword only ever seemed inappropriate when we grew older and lost our childhood innocence.

Ahh... sweet childhood innocence... *sigh*

tee hee

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives