Friday, July 27, 2007

Decade of the remake

I watched The Simpsons movie on Wednesday night. It was good. No, lemme take that back. It was great. Every element that has made the Simpsons so brilliant over the years was in here. That's not to say they recycled gags, though there were one or two that the faithful fan will recognize. There were just so many priceless moments in it, and I laughed myself silly. I left the theater feeling satisfied. I can't remember the last time I genuinely laughed so much during a movie. If you fancy yourself a Simpsons fan, you owe it to yourself to watch this. Even if you're just a cursory fan that catches the occasional episode simply because you stumble upon it whilst channel-surfing, you should still watch this movie. But, that said, watching it a second time won't be as great. Because I did. And once you know the gags, they just lose that 'oomph'. From LOL to haha.

I was browsing deviantART the other day, and none of it shocked the child in me until I saw this:


I was like, "Great Smurfs!" OK, so maybe I didn't actually say that, but memories of the cartoon did come rushing back. I used to hate Smurfette because she could be so annoying. And I never understood why there were no other female smurfs in the village. But seeing this kinda made me change my stance on Smurfette. I can see why the other smurfs went nuts over her.

Is it just me, or does it seem like all our childhoods are being dug out of their comfortable spots in the past? Some explode back into reality and remind us why we love them so much, and some are dragged kicking and screaming to haunt us and show us how low our standards were as kids. I'm not sure which one this will be:


On one hand, they look quite cool. Theodore just looks too cute. On the other hand, the director is the same guy who made Garfield (ick!). And Garfield 2 (ick again!). I hope this movie breaks his sucking streak. If it doesn't, it might end up as just another shameless cash cow.

The Transformers movie was simultaneously a shameless cash-in on the hugely popular long-running toy line and fiction franchise and a tribute to 80's kids everywhere who hold fond memories of Peter Cullen's many infamous quotes throughout the years. Regardless of what anyone says, it was a well-made movie for the fans. I recently heard through the grapevine that Thundercats might see a remake in years to come. Hopefully they don't screw it up. Although, I am quite interested in seeing how they pull off Lion-O's magical growing Sword of Omens without making it look like a phallic allegory.

"Thunder, thunder, thunder, Thundercats! HOOOOOOO!"
"Wow, Lion-O, it's so big."
"Yes, it is. Say, have you ever seen the backseat of a Thundertank?"

By Chester with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives