Friday, October 5, 2007

Close shave

I remember when I first started shaving. I believe it's something every boy should learn to do; it's one of the ways you know you're growing up and on the cusp of manhood. That, and hair in funny places...

My godson's recent post on shaving got me thinking about razors. I've been shaving since I was 12, so razors and shaving gel/cream are a necessary investment for me. And given the crazy competition involved in the shaving market, I've stuck to the most familiar.

I've been using Gillette razors since forever. I first used my dad's and brother's Sensor Excel, then I moved on to a razor of my own-- the Mach3. It has served me faithfully all these years. I never really moved on to the Mach3 Turbo because it didn't feel like a necessary upgrade; neither did I ever get the Fusion due to its insane price (plus I don't think I need two extra blades... but who knows?). Like I said, crazy competition. All these fancy-shmancy new gimmicks they're sticking onto the razors. And not that there's anything wrong with Gillette (it's the leading brand in sales globally after all, so that should count for something), but I just felt like I wanted a change. I wanted to try something new.

So yesterday, I bought a rival brand razor. Enter the Schick Protector.



Apparently it has won a design award.

I just shaved with it, and I look like I shaved with a blunt axe. I guess the 'design award' doesn't exactly cover the razor blade. On the other hand, the Protector has two blades, whereas my old Mach3 had three, so I suppose it's an unfair comparison.

So I guess I should just stick to the tried-and-true. There is a silver lining though-- my dad needs a new two-blade razor, and my brother has some extra Mach3 Turbo cartridges which will fit my Mach3 razor.

The moral? Gillette really is the best a man can get. At least, a man with a beard.

By Chester with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives