Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Ten Commandments

I've always had a special place in my heart for The Ten Commandments. Ever since I watched it as a child, it stuck in my mind because besides being the second longest movie I have ever watched (the longest being Kenneth Branagh's film adaptation of Hamlet), it was the first time I'd ever seen the power of God portrayed on the big screen. So you can imagine the thrill I got when I bought this--



Now, seeing it again all these years later, I realized I'd almost forgotten how much I love this movie. The actors bring such incredible depth to the biblical characters-- Charlton Heston delivers his lines with a force that no one today can match, and Yul Brynner smirks and glowers with all the cynicism of the pharaohs. The rest of the supporting cast give great performances as well, and everything ties together to make this movie an incredible masterpiece. I wholeheartedly recommend it; this was an inspiration long before The Passion of the Christ.

Moses' words at the parting of the Red Sea still send chills down my spine, and I kid you not-- his words after the sea comes crashing back brought reverent tears to my eyes, because it awes me to be reminded of what God did.

"Who is like unto Thee, O Lord? From everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God."

By Chester with 3 comments

3 comments:

i was just thinking of this movie the other day! yeah... a real classic.

I watched this movie around the same time I watched Ben Hur, when I was maybe 6 or 7....

Hated Ben Hur because of the bloodier than bloody chariot scene.....

But somehow The Ten C's always stayed with me.

Sadly enough, the tape of it we had got mildewed and destroyed en route here. :(

oh yeah! i loved Ben Hur too! that was a classic too ohmigosh!

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives